Sunday, February 15, 2009

Update/First day in Ciudad del Este

Hi everyone... This being my first post, I´ll update you all on the past week or so of my trip. I left Seattle the 10th at midnight (which has become a common theme on the trip) transferred to Miami from St. Paul, Minnesota, where all the other AFSers and I that were going to South America and met and had orientation -- at the Miami International Airport.

(Aside: Miami may as well be located in a Spanish-speaking country, or at least the airport, because roughly 95%, probably higher, of the employees at the airport spoke English as a second language, including the representatives from AFS attempting to help us, which made things very difficult.)

After spending two days in the Miami airport, we finally were able to go through security and get on the plane. Unfortunately, one of the girls in my AFS group lost her passport in the bathroom, and the flight ended up being delayed several hours, (hilarity did not ensue).

Finally, we boarded the plane at 1am, and flew all night, until we arrived in Santiago, Chile at roughly 11am. After a two hour layover, boarded the plane and traveled to Asuncion, the capital of Paraguay. Immediately after exiting the airport, we were struck with the hottest, most humid air I had ever felt in my life. It was (only) 88 degrees outside, but the air felt over a hundred. We traveled to el campo, or the country, were we held a brief one day Paraguayan Orientation, where we met the other AFSers that would be staying in Paraguay.

There we were introduced to a number of Paraguayan customs to name one, Mate: a hot beverage drank in the morning, and Terere: a cold beverage drank in the afternoons and evenings, both being traditional Paraguayan drinks both derived from Yerba Mate. They serve as light stimulants, and are very much ingrained into Paraguayan culture.

After spending one night there, some of us took a bus to ´ciudad del este´ where I will be living. I was met at the bus station by many of there family and friends, including my new four-year old host sister, Gabi, who is currently trying to sneak pictures of me, haha. It was very overwhelming. We drove back to their house and my host brother Carli(to) introduced me to his huge posse of friends (12?). They range from 15 to 20 and are all very fun. From what I understand it is normal for people of all ages to hang out.

We had a huge barbaque, with chorizo (sausage) and steak. I have never seen that much food in my life, unfortunately I was unable to get any pictures of it, but there will be many in the future! We sang karaoke, ate and played mafia until seven in the morning, this is the paraguayan way. I am quickly learning that if you want to have any personal space, do not come to Paraguay! You are constantly surrounded by people, just while writing this blog, six people have to come in to interrupt me.

I have so much more I would like to write, but no more time. I start school tomorrow, I must confess I am a little nervous. I miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. sucks about the flights, but it sounds like a pretty fun trip otherwise. Good luck with trying to understand what the teachers are saying

    ReplyDelete